When Chicago winter rolls around, I tend to hibernate a little. That -25 degree windchill is not my vibe. I did set an intention this year to not let winter keep me from enjoying the city, but I’m still spending some of the freezing nights in the comfort of my own apartment.
That downtime is license for a little extra pampering, no? Pour a glass of wine (or herbal tea, if you’re doing Whole30 like me) and cozy up with Netflix while doing something good for your skin. I’ve been trying a ton of new masks lately and my skin is so happy. I barely cringe when I accidentally turn on Snapchat’s front-facing camera in the morning now. Barely.
Check out some of my favorite masks to help you survive winter:
- 1. I’ve been eyeing the Herbivore stuff around Nordstrom, but it was this mask that finally got me to buy something. If you’re saying “WTF is blue tansy?” you’re not alone. I had to look it up: it’s a flower that is poisonous when ingested. When rubbed on your face, however, it is anti-inflammatory with major skin-calming results. It is combined with fruit enzymes and some other great ingredients to make a clarifying and cooling gel mask that gently exfoliates, smooths, and resurfaces the skin – fighting winter dullness.
2. Need a deep cleanse, without the green juice? Try the Tata Harper Purifying Mask. It fights aging caused by environmental stressors and pollution (looking at you, fellow city girls). It gets rids of every bit of skin surface buildup, has a dose of probiotics, and is cruelty-free. Score.
3. The first beauty book I ever read was from Bobbi Brown herself. Her thing was, and still is, fresh, youthful, healthy skin. This Coral Grass and Green Algae mask is right on target with its serious dose of moisture for a smoother, plumper look.
4. Forget Glam Glow – this $10 clay mask is the best I’ve found. Indian healing clay delivers deep pore cleaning with 100% natural calcium bentonite clay. It might not look fancy, but trust me when I say you need this in your bathroom cabinet. Just mix the clay with a little apple cider vinegar and prepare for an intense skin makeover.
5. Lip masks are a new thing for me, but I figure my poor skin can use all the love it can get this winter. Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask smooths and hydrates lips with a blend of organic agave nectar, jojoba oil, vanilla co2 extract. It also has three times as much of the antioxidant trans-resveratrol as is found in red wine. That’s the good, anti-aging part of wine. Hangover not included.
6. I’m a more is more kind of girl, so I’m all about this 5-in-1 Bouncy Mask from First Aid Beauty. It’s full of great ingredients like vitamin C, rose bud extract, marine botanicals, and pepha tight to improve skin’s appearance. The mask multitasks by nourishing, calming, firming, plumping, and refining your skin in one step. I like to use this one to perfect my skin right before an event or after a night out for a little morning pick-me-up. The mask has a unique “bouncy” gel texture that instantly delivers a glowy result.
7. Shiseido has a handful of Holy Grail skincare products, and this Ibuki Beauty Sleeping Mask is one of them. Smooth it on before bed and it will work while you sleep, leaving you looking gorgeous when you wake up.
8. I’m destined to be haunted by puffiness and dark circles (thanks, genetics). Eye masks are my go-to for a refreshed look. Pop these Cucumber De-Tox Eye Patches in the fridge for major effectiveness. They’re soothing and reduce dryness, puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines.
Got a favorite mask I need to try? Tell me in the comments!