Breakfast has been one of the hardest meals for me to master. It’s also my favorite meal, but a daily vegan breakfast burrito or massive stack of pancakes won’t do my body any favors. Lately I’ve been loving a vegan chia seed parfait for sustained energy and something more substantial than my usual smoothie. They’re easy to make, keep me full all morning long, and have the desired balance of protein, fiber, fat, and carbs. The best part? These can be stored for several days, and stirring is the most work you’ll have to do.
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- — Loaded with fiber
- — High in phosphorous and magnesium (essential for bone health)
- — A complete protein (so important!)
- — Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- — Boost satiety (leading to you eating less throughout the day)
- — Great for hydration (making them perfect for pre-workout fuel)
Vegan Chia Seed Parfait Ingredients
- — Vegan yogurt – I like unsweetened versions! GT’s and Kite Hill are regularly available near me, giving options for both almond milk and coconut milk based yogurt.
- — Chia seeds (Tip: Trader Joe’s has them for cheaper than anywhere else I’ve found!)
- — Plant based milk of choice (you can use water in a pinch)
- — Fresh fruit of choice – here I used fresh blueberries, strawberries, and coconut
- — Granola – I like a paleo option and look for low or no sugar added
- — Optional: superfood or adaptogenic add-ins
How to Make Your Vegan Chia Seed Parfait
- 1. Soak chia seeds in plant-based milk or water overnight. You can also leave the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes if you’re in a rush
- 2. Pull the chia seeds out of the refrigerator. There should be very little or no liquid left. If they’re a bit dry, add extra plant-based milk.
- 3.. If adding in adaptogenic or superfood powders (like Moon Juice Beauty Dust, ashwagandha, lucuma, etc.), stir these into the yogurt
- 4.. Starting building your layers! I do soaked chia seeds, yogurt, fruit, then granola.
Easy, right? Let me know what variations you come up with – and if you like this breakfast option!